Department of Pathology and Microbiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Duhok, Duhok, Iraq
Department of Biology, College of Science, University of Duhok, Duhok, Iraq
Document Type : Research Paper
This study aimed to evaluate the aqueous extract of Quercus infectoria galls extract (QIGE) as anticlastogenic. The effect of QIGE was tested in mice (5 groups for each test) treated with 7, 12-dimethylbenz (a) anthracene (DMBA), the strong site-specific carcinogenic agent. In this study, the QIGE show no signs of toxicity, a single dose of DMBA (50 mg/kg) was injected intraperitoneally to Swiss albino mice caused a great increase in number of chromosomal aberrations, micronucleated polychromatic erythrocytes (MnPCEs) and reduction in the percentage of mitotic index (MI) (cytogenetic markers). Oral pre-treatment and post-treatment of QIGE for 14 days at dose 2 gm/kg b.w. daily to DMBA-treated animals greatly reduced in number of micronucleus formation, chromosomal abnormalities such as chromosomal break, chromatid breaks, ring chromosome, dicentric chromosome and fragments. Besides, mitotic index frequency increased comparing with the positive control. The data suggest that QIGE has potent anti-clastogenic effect against DMBA-induced genotoxicity in bone marrow cells of albino male mice and it may have a protective effect against the mutagenicity of the polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH).
1.This study aimed to evaluate the anticlastogenic effect of the aqueous extract of Quercus infectoria galls extract (QIGE) against 7, 12-dimethylbenz (a) anthracene (DMBA).
2.Different QIGE doses of Quercus infectoria galls extract (QIGE) 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 gm/kg b.w. show no signs of toxicity; the recorded data suggested that the aqueous extract of QIG is safe.
3.A single dose of DMBA (50 mg/kg) caused a great increase in number of chromosomal aberrations, micronucleate polychromatic erythrocytes (MnPCEs) and reduction in the percentage of mitotic index (MI) in bone marrow cells of albino mice.
4.The present study found that the Oral pre-treatment and post-treatment of QIGE for 14 days at the dose 2 gm/kg b.w. daily to DMBA-treated animals reported inhibitory and protective effects on the cytotoxic and DNA damage induced by DMBA.
- Baharuddin N, Abdullah H, Abdul Wahab WN. Anti-Candida activity of Quercus infectoria gall extracts against Candida species. J Pharma Bio Sci. 2015;7(1):15. 10.4103/0975-7406.148742
- Srivastava RC, Husain MM, Hasan SK, Athar M. Green tea polyphenols and tannic acid act as potent inhibitors of phorbol ester-induced nitric oxide generation in rat hepatocytes independent of their antioxidant properties. Cancer Letters. 2000;153(1-2):1-5. 10.1016/s0304-3835(99)00400-0
- Hussein G, Miyashiro H, Nakamura N, Hattori M, Kakiuchi N, Shimotohno K. Inhibitory effects of Sudanese medicinal plant extracts on hepatitis C virus (HCV) protease. Phytotherap Res. 2000;14(7):510-6. 10.1002/1099-1573(200011)
- Mengeloğlu F. Antimicrobial activity of galls of Quercus infectoria. Dicle Med J. 2011;38(3):309-11. 10.5798/0921.2011.03.0038
- Redwane A, Lazrek HB, Bouallam S, Markouk M, Amarouch H, Jana M. Larvicidal activity of extracts from Quercus lusitania var. infectoria galls (Oliv.). J Ethnopharmacol. 2002;79(2):261-3. 10.1016/s0378-8741(01)00390-7
- Guerin MR. Energy sources of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. In: Environment, chemistry, and metabolism. New York: Academic Press; 1978. 3-42 p. 10.1016/B978-0-12-279201-4.50008-6
- Clarke CH, Shankel DM. Antimutagenesis in microbial systems. Bacteriol Rev. 1975;39(1):33-53. 10.1128/mmbr.39.1.33-53.1975
- Abdel-Shafy HI, Mansour MS. A review on polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: Source, environmental impact, effect on human health and remediation. Egyptian J Petroleum. 2016;25:107-23. 10.1016/j.ejpe.2015.03.011
- Yu H, Yan J, Jiao Y, Fu PP. Photochemical reaction of 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene (DMBA) and formation of DNA covalent adducts. Inter J Environ Res Pub Heal. 2005;2(1):114-22. 10.3390/ijerph2005010114
- Schieber M, Chandel NS. ROS function in redox signaling and oxidative stress. Cur Biol. 2014;24(10):R453-62. 10.1016/j.cub.2014.03.034
- Iminjan M, Amat N, Li XH, Upur H, Ahmat D, He B. Investigation into the toxicity of traditional Uyghur medicine Quercus infectoria galls water extract. PLoS ONE. 2014;9(3):e90756. 10.1371/journal.pone.0090756
- Valdiglesias V, Mndez J, Psaro E, Laffon B. The importance of the in vitro genotoxicity evaluation of food components: The selenium. J Nutr. 2009;140(1):213-233. 10.3945/jn.109.110569
- Thakkar JH, Solanki HK, Tripathi P, Patel NJ. Evaluation of antimutagenic potential of Annona squamosa leaf extract. Inter J Biol Pharma Res. 2010;1(2):114-23. 10.22159/ajpcr.2019.v12i2.29026
- Berti AP, Palioto GF, Rocha CLMSC. Antimutagenicity and antigenotoxicity of Aloe arborescens miller and Aloe barbadensis miller in Aspergillus nidulans and wistar rats. Gen Mol Res. 2016;15(3). 3-5. 10.4238/gmr.15038522
- De Flora S. Mechanisms of inhibition of mutagenesis and carcinogenesis: Classification. Mut Res Environ Mut Rel Sub. 2003;203(3):205. 10.1016/s0027-5107(97)00292-3
- McClure JW. Physiology and functions of flavonoids. In: Boston, MA. The flavonoids. New York: Springer; 1975. 970-1055 p.
- Bannerman RM. Mutagenicity: New horizons in genetic toxicology. Am J Med Gen. 2005;15(2):350-1. 10.1002/ajmg.1320150224
- Shubber EK, Juma AS. Cytogenetic effects of plant extract of Urtica dioca on mouse somatic cells. Nucleus. 1999;42(3)182-187. 10.1508%2Fcytologia.70.385
- Evans EP, Breckon G, Ford CE. An air-drying method for meiotic preparations from mammalian testes. Cytogen Gen Res. 1964;3(5):289-94. 10.1159/000129818
- Schmid W. The micronucleus tests. Mut Res. 1975;31(1):9-15. 10.1016/0165-1161(75)90058-8
- Bhuvaneswari V, Velmurugan B, Abraham SK, Nagini S. Tomato and garlic by gavage modulate 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene-induced genotoxicity and oxidative stress in mice. Brazilian J Med Biol Res. 2004;37(7):1029-34. 10.1590/s0100-879x2004000700012
- Mayer C, Schmezer P, Freese R, Mutanen M, Hietanen E, Obe G. Lipid peroxidation status, somatic mutations and micronuclei in peripheral lymphocytes: A case observation on a possible interrelationship. Cancer Let. 2000;152(2):169-73. 10.1016/s0304-3835(00)00332-3
- Iminjan M, Amat N, Li XH, Upur H, Ahmat D, He B. Investigation into the toxicity of traditional uyghur medicine Quercus infectoria galls water extract. PLoS ONE. 2014;9(3) 10.1371/0090756.e90756
- Fathabada AE, Shariatifar N, Mardania K and Mohammad PI. Study on antibacterial and antioxidant activity of Oak gall (Quercus infectoria) extracts from Iran. Int J Curr Sci. 2015;14:44-50. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/338336622
- Kaur G, Athar M, Alam MS. Quercus infectoria galls possess antioxidant activity and abrogates oxidative stress-induced functional alterations in murine macrophages. Chem Bioll Inter. 2008;171(3):272-82. 10.1016/j.cbi.2007.10.002
- Mathew S, Kuttan G. Antioxidant activity of Tinospora cordifolia and its usefulness in the amelioration of cyclophosphamide induced toxicity. J Exp Clin Can Res. 1997;16(4):407-11.
- Premkumar K, Pachiappan A, Abraham SK, Santhiya ST, Gopinath PM, Ramesh A. Effect of Spirulina fusiformis on cyclophosphamide and mitomycin-C induced genotoxicity and oxidative stress in mice. Fitoterapia. 2001;72(8):906-11. 10.1016/s0367-326x(01)00340-9
- Oh HT, Kim SH, Choi HJ, Chung MJ, Ham SS. Antioxidative and antimutagenic activities of 70% ethanol extract from masou salmon (Oncorhynchus masou). Toxicol Vitro. 2008;22(6):1484-8. 10.1590/S1516-89132015060309
- Gupta S, Chaudhuri T, Seth P, Ganguly DK, Giri AK. Antimutagenic effects of black tea (World blend) and its two active polyphenols theaflavins and the amrubicin's in Salmonella assays. Phytotherapy Res. 2002;16(7):655-61. 10.1002/ptr.1038
- Hemmati AA, Houshmand G, Nemati M, Bahadoram M, Dorestan N, Rashidi-Nooshabadi MR. Wound healing effects of Persian oak (Quercus brantii) ointment in rats. Jundishapur J Nat Pharm Prod. 2015;10(4):e25508. 10.17795/jjnpp-25508