Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Science and Health, Koya University, Koya, Iraq
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science and Health, Koya University, Koya, Iraq
Department of Phytochemistry, Medicinal Plants and Drugs Research Institute, Shahid Beheshti University, Evin, Tehran, Iran
Document Type : Research Paper
Prosopis farctais belonged to Mimosaceae family, commonly known as mesquite. It was chosen to investigate their effect on α-glucosidase inhibitory activity (in-vitro), serum glucose and liver functions. Roots, fruits, and leaves of P. farcta, were extracted by n-hexane, ethyl acetate, and methanol. α-glucosidase inhibition was analyzed by using ELISA technique then half maximal inhibitory concentration IC50 was found. The blood glucose levels were determined with a glucose analyzer model. The serum alkaline phosphatase (ALP), Alanine transaminase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and serum total bilirubin (TB) were estimated by using the Cobas diagnostic kit with a fully automated chemical analyzer. Diabetes was done by a single dose of 120 mg alloxan/kg b.w with subcutaneously injection. Ethyl acetate extracts of P. farcta showed the higher α-glucosidase inhibitory activity, and the best one was root extract. Treatments of the alloxan-induced diabetes rats were done by daily oral administration of different concentrations with P. farcta extracts of ethyl acetate for 28 days and the dose 200 mg/kg BW was the effective one. The root extract was the best one for reduction of serum glucose followed by leaves then fruits. Administration of root extract of P. farcta showed a decrease in the levels of ALP and TB in alloxan-induced diabetes rats. The fruit extract of P. farcta showed decreasing in the level of ALP in alloxan-induced diabetes rats. In conclusion, the P. farcta extracts for ethyl acetate have properties of hypoglycemic effect as well as improving some parameters related with diabetic complications of liver functions.
- Eddouks M, Bidi A, El Bouhali B, Hajji L, Zeggwagh N. Antidiabetic plants improving insulin sensitivity. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2014;66(9):1197–1214. doi: 10.1111/jphp.12243.
- Cryer P. Minireview: Glucagon in the pathogenesis of hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia in diabetes. Endocrinol. 2012;153(3):1039–1048. doi:10.1210/en.2011-1499 .
- Telagari M, Hullatti K. In-vitro α-amylase and α-glucosidase inhibitory activity of Adiantum caudatum Linn. and Celosia argentea Linn. Extracts and fractions. Indian J Pharmacol. 2015;47(4):425-429. DOI: 10.4103/0253-7613.161270.
- Said O, Khalil K, Fulder S, Azaizeh H. Ethnopharmacological survey of medicinal herbs in Israel, the golan heights and the west bank region. J Ethnopharmacol. 2002;83(3):251-265. DOI: 10.1016/s0378-8741(02)00253-2.
- Dashtban M,Sarir H,Omidi A.The effect of Prosopis farcta beans extract on blood biochemical parameters in streptozotocin- induced diabetic male rats. Adv Biomed Res. 2016; 5:116. DOI:10.4103/2277-9175.185575.
- Orozco - Villafuerte J, Cruz-Sosa F, Ponce-Alquicira E, Vernon-Carter E. Mesquite gum: Fractionation and characterization of the gum exuded from Prosopis laevigata obtained from plant tissue culture and from wild trees. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2003;54:327-333. DOI: 10.1016/S0144-8617(03)00187-5.
- Andrade-Montemayor H, Cordova-Torres A, García-Gasca T, Kawas J. Alternative foods for small ruminants in semiarid zones, the case of Mesquite (Prosopis laevigata spp.) and Nopal (Opuntia spp.). Small Rumin Res. 2011;98:83-92. DOI: 10.1016/j.smallrumres.2011.03.023.
- Hamdan I, Afifi F. Studies on the in vitro and in vivo hypoglycemic activities of some medicinal plants used in treatment of diabetes in Jordanian traditional medicine. J Ethnopharmacol. 2004;93:117-121. DOI: 10.1016/j.jep.2004.03.033.
- Al-Aboudi A, Afifi FU. Plants used for the treatment of diabetes in Jordan: A review of scientific evidence. Pharm Biol. 2011;49:221-239. DOI: 10.3109/13880209.2010.501802.
- Ranjbar-Heidari A, Khaiatzadeh J, Mahdavi-Shahri N, Tehranipoor M. The effect of fruit pod powder and aquatic extract of Prosopis farcta on healing cutaneous wounds in diabetic rat. Zahedan J Res Med Sci. 2012;14:16-20.
- Saidi MR, Farzaei MH, Miraghaee S, Babaei A, Mohammadi B, Bahrami MT. Antihyperlipidemic effect of Syrian Mesquite (Prosopis farcta) root in high cholesterol diet-fed rabbits. J Evid Based Comp Alter Med. 2016; 21(4): 62-66. DOI: 10. 11 77 /21 56 58 72 15 627552.
- Levinthal GN, Tavill AJ. Liver disease and diabetes mellitus. Clin Diabetes. 1999;17:73.
- Marchesine G, Brizi M, Bianchi G. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: A feature of metabolic syndrome. Diab. 2001;50:1844-1850. DOI: 10.2337/diabetes.50.8.1844.
- Yingbo Y, Lihua G, Ying X, Qing L, Haijun Hu, Zhengtao W, Kaixian C. Rapid Identification of α-Glucosidase Inhibitors from Phlomis tuberosa by Sepbox Chromatography and Thin-Layer Chromatography Bioautography. PLoS One. 2015;10(2):0116922. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0116922.
- Szkudelski T. The mechanism of alloxan and streptozotocin action in β - Cells of the rat pancreas. Physiol Res. 2001;50(6):536-546.
- Ukwenya VO, Ashaolu OJ, Adeyemi DO, Abraham KJ. Experimental diabetes and the epididymis of Wistar rats: The protective effects of Anacardium occidentale (Linn.). J Exp Clin Anatomy. 2015;14:57-62. DOI: 10.4103/1596-2393.177029.
- Puls W, Krause H, Muller L. Inhibitors of the rate of carbohydrate and lipid absorption by the intestine. Int J Obes. 1984;8(1):181-90.
- Fonseca V. Clinical significance of targeting post-prandial and fasting hyperglycemia in managing type 2 diabetes mellitus. Curr Med Res Opin. 2003;19(7):635-641. DOI: 10.1185/030079903125002351.
- Hollander P. Safety profile of acarbose, an alpha-glucosidase inhibitor. Drugs. 1992; 44 (3): 47-53. DOI: 10.2165/00003495-199200443-00007.
- Ankita B, Mohamed S, Kavitha T. Screening of fifteen Indian ayurvedic plants for alpha- glucosidase inhibitory activity and enzyme kinetics. Inter J Pharma Pharmaceut Sci. 2011;3(4):267-274.
- Rohilla A, Ali S. Alloxan induced diabetes: Mechanisms and effects. Inter J Res Pharmaceut Biomed Sci. 2012;3(2):819-823.
- Bashandy S, Al Wasel S. Carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity and nephrotoxicity in rats: Protective role of vitamin C. J Pharmacol Toxicol. 2011;6(30):283-292. DOI:10.3923/jpt.2011.283.292.
- Amin A, Hamza AA. Oxidative stress mediates drug-induced hepatotoxicity in rats a possible role of DNA fragmentation. Toxicol. 2005;208(3):367-375.DOI: 10.1016/j.tox.2004.11.039
- Monday MO, Uzoma IA. Histological changes and antidiabetic activities of Icacina trichantha tuber extract in beta-cells of alloxan induced diabetic rats. Asian Pacific J Trop Biomed. 2013;3(8):628-633. DOI: 10.1016/S2221-1691(13)60127-6.
- Jeon CY, Roberts CK, Crespi CM, Zhang ZF. Elevated liver enzymes in individuals with undiagnosed diabetes in the US. J Diab Compl. 2013;27(4):333-339. DOI: 10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2013.04.005.
- Nolasco E, Zanoni F, Nunes F, Ferreira S, Freitas L, Silva M, Martins J. Insulin modulates liver function in a type I diabetes rat model. 2015;30(4):1467-1479. DOI.org/10.1159/000430311.
- Domitrovic R, Jakovac H, Marchesi V, Sain I, Romic Z, Rahelic D. Preventive and therapeutic effects of oleuropein against carbon tetrachloride-induced liver damage in mice. Pharmacol Res. 2012;65(4):451-464.DOI: 10.1016/j.phrs.2011.12.005.
- Eidi A, Eidi M, Darzi R. Antidiabetic effect of Oleaeuropaea L. in normal and diabetic rats. Phytother Res. 2009;23(3):347-50. DOI: 10.1002/ptr.2629
- Kim SW, Hur W, Li TZ, Lee YK, Choi JE, Hong SW, Lyoo KS, You CR, Jung ES, Jung CK, Park T, Um SJ, Yoon SK. Oleuropein prevents the progression of steatohepatitis to hepatic fibrosis induced by high-fat diet in mice. Exp Mol Med. 2014;46(4):e92. DOI : 10 . 1038 /emm.2014.10.
- Mousa HM, Farahna M, Ismail MS, Abdel-Salam AM. Anti-diabetic effect of olive leaves extract in alloxan-diabetic rats. J Agri Vet Sci. 2014;7(2):183-192. DOI: 10.12816/0009472.
- Maritim AC, Sanders RA, Watkins JB. Diabetes, oxidative stress and antioxidants: A review. J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 2003;17(1):24-38. DOI: 10.1002/jbt.10058.
- Zhu B, Wu X, Bi Y, Yan Y. Effect of bilirubin concentration on the risk of diabetic complications: A meta-analysis of epidemiologic studies. Sci Rep. 2017;7(41681):1-15.DOI.org/10.1038/srep41681.