Effect of Prosopis farcta extracts on some complications (hematology and lipid profiles) associated with alloxan induced diabetic rats
Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Sciences,
2020, Volume 34, Issue 1, Pages 45-50
AbstractThis study aimed to investigate the effects of ethyl acetate Prosopis farcta extracts on some complications associated with diabetes in rats. The experimental rats of 1.5-2 months old that weighed 190-220 g were randomly divided into six groups of seven animals each. Body weight, serum glucose, hematological changes and lipid profiles were studied. Alloxan was used of induction diabetes in rats. 252 rats were used anddifferent doses of the ethyl acetate extracts of roots, fruits, and leaves of P. farcta were orally administered daily for 28 daysfornormal and diabetic rats and the effective dose was 200 mg/kg BW for each kind of extracts. The results showed that administration of root, leaves and fruit extracts of P. farcta caused improvement in body weight, blood glucose, red blood cells (RBCs), hemoglobin (Hb), mean corpuscular hemoglobin (MCH), hematocrit (HCT orPCV) in alloxan diabetic rats in insulin like treatment manner, with the most effective improving effect for roots extract. Regarding to the effects on total and differential white blood cell (WBC) count, administration of extracts caused decrease in the total WBC and neutrophil count. Administration of root, leaves and fruit extracts of P. farcta, showed suppression in total cholesterol (TC), triglyceride (TG), very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL-C) and low-density lipoprotein (LDL-C), and increasing in high density lipoprotein (HDL-C) of alloxan diabetic rats. In conclusion, the P. farcta extracts possesses properties of improving some health complications accompanied diabetes in rats.
- Dashtban M,Sarir H,Omidi A.The effect of Prosopis farcta beans extract on blood biochemical parameters in streptozotocin- induced diabetic male rats. Adv Biomed Res. 2016; 5:116. DOI:10.4103/2277-9175.185575
- Afifi, F. Hypoglycemic effect of Prosopis fracta. Int J Pharmacog, 1993;31:161-164. https://doi.org/10.3109/13880209309082933.
- Gasim GI. Glycated hemoglobin and red blood cell indices in non-diabetic pregnant women. Clin Pract. 2017; 7:999. DOI:10.4081/cp.2017.99.
- Vatcheva KP, Fisher SP, Mohammad H, Rahbar MH, Lee MJ, Olvera RL, Mccormick JB. Association of total and differential with blood cell counts to development of type 2 diabetes in Mexican Americans in cameron country hispanic cohort. Diab Res. 2015;1(4):103-112. DOI: 10.17140/DROJ-1-117.
- Schofield JD, Liu Y, Rao-Balakrishna P, Malik RA, Soran, H. Diabetes dyslipidemia. Diab Ther. 2016;7(2):203-219.
- Beejmohun V, Peytavy M, Mignon C, Muscente D, Deplanque X, Ripoll C, Chapal N. Acute effect of Ceylon cinnamon extract on postprandial glycemia: Alpha-amylase inhibition, starch tolerance test in rats, and randomized crossover clinical trial in healthy volunteers. BMC Comp Alter Med. 2014;14:351. DOI: 10.1186/1472-6882-14-351.
- Omidi A, Ansari H, Ghazaghi M. Prosopis farcta beans increase HDL cholesterol and decrease LDL cholesterol in ostriches (Struthio camelus). Trop Anim Health Prod. 2013;45(2):431-434. DOI: 10.1007/s11250-012-0234-x.
- Szkudelski T. The mechanism of alloxan and streptozotocin action in β - Cells of the rat pancreas. Physiol Res. 2001;50:536-546.
- Ukwenya VO, Ashaolu OJ, Adeyemi DO, Abraham KJ. Experimental diabetes and the epididymis of wistar rats: The protective effects of Anacardium occidentale (Linn.). J Exp Clin Anat. 2015;14:57-62.DOI: 10.4103/1596-2393.177029.
- Purves RD. Optimum numerical integration methods for estimation of area-under-the -curve (AUC) and area-under-the-moment- curve (AUMC). J Phamacokinet Biopharm.1992;20:211-26.DOI: 10.1007/bf01062525.
- Hassan S, Abd El-Twab S, Hetta M, Mahmoud B. Improvement of lipid profile and antioxidant of hypercholesterolemic albino rats by polysaccharides extracted from the green alga Ulva lactuca Linnaeus. Saudi J Biol Sci. 2011;18(4):333-340. DOI: 10.1016/j.sjbs.2011.01.005.
- Ikeme JC, Pergola PE, Scherzer R, Shlipak MG, Benavente OR,Peralta CA. Post Hoc Analyses of Randomized Clinical Trial for the Effect of Clopidogrel Added to Aspirin on Kidney Function. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2017; 12 (7) 1040-1047. DOI: 10.2215/CJN.00100117.
- Shenoy AG, Ramesh KG. Improvement of insulin sensitivity by perindopril in spontaneously hypertensive and streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Indian J Pharmacol. 2002;34:156-164.
- Oyedemi SO, Yakubu MT, Afolayan AJ. Antidiabetic activities of aqueous leaves extract of Leonotis leonurus in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. J Med Plant Res. 2011;5(1):119-125.
- Arun GS, Ramesh KG. Improvement of insulin sensitivity by perindopril in spontaneously hypertensive and streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Indian J Pharmacol. 2002;34:156-164.
- Baskar R, Bhakshu LM, Bharathi GV, Reddy SS, Karuna R, Reddy GK. Antihyperglycemic activity of aqueous root extract of Rubia cordifolia in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Pharm Biol. 2006;44(6):475-479. DOI: 10.1080/13880200600798593.
- Balasubraimanian T, Lal MS, Mahananda S, Chatterjee TK. Antihyperglycemic and antioxidant activities of medicinal plant Stereospermum suaveolens in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Diet Suppl. 2009;6(3):227-251. DOI: 10.1080/13880200600798593.
- Bosman DR, Winkler AS, Marsden JT, Macdougall IC, Watkins PJ. Anemia with erythropoietin deficiency occurs early in diabetic nephropathy. Diab Care. 2001;24(3):495-499. DOI:10.2337/diacare.24.3.495.
- Ohlsson A. Early erythropoietin for preventing red blood cell transfusion in preterm and/or low birth weight infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;3: CD004863.DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004863.
- Abu-Zaiton AS. Antidiabetic activity of Ferula asafoetida extract in normal and alloxan induced diabetic rats. Pak J Biol Sci. 2010;13(2):97-100. DOI: 10.3923/pjbs.2010.97.100.
- Woo SJ, Ahn SJ, Ahn J, Park KH, Lee K. Elevated systemic neutrophil count in diabetic retinopathy and diabetes: A hospital-based cross-sectional study of 30,793 Korean subjects. Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:7697-703.DOI: 10.1167/iovs.11-7784.
- Mahmoud AM. Hematological alterations in diabetic rats role of adipocytokines and effect of citrus flavonoids. Exp Clin Sci J. 2013;12:647-657. DOI: 10.17877/DE290R-7264.
- Akinpelu DA, Aiyegoro OA, Okoh AI. In vitro antimicrobial and phytochemical properties of crude extract of stem bark of Afzelia africana (Smith). Afr J Biotechnol. 2008;7(20):3665 -3670. DOI: 10.4314/ajb.v7i20.59407.
- Bugianesi E, Gastaldelli A, Vanni E, Gambino R, Cassader M, Baldi S, Ponti V, Pagano G, Rizzetto M. Insulin resistance in non-diabetic patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: Sites and mechanisms. Diab Etiol. 2005;48(4):634-642. DOI: 10.1007/s00125-005-1682- x.
- Amaechi D, Udosen EO, Edet EE, Asanga EE, Mbakwe IE. Lipid profile status of streptozotocin induced diabetic rats treated with ethanolic leaf extract of Solenostemon monostachyus. J Med Plts Res. 2015;9(8):289-293. DOI: 10.5897/JMPR2014.5663.
- El-Hazmi MA, Warsy AS. Evaluation of serum cholesterol and triglyceride levels in 1-6-year-old Saudi children. J Trop Pediat. 2001;47:181-185. DOI: 10.1093/tropej/47.3.181.
- Tandon S. Phytochemicals and cardiovascular health. Curr R D High. 2005;28:18-22.
- Article View: 939
- PDF Download: 950