Pharmacy Department, Technical Institute, Polytechnic University, Duhok, Iraq
Document Type : Research Paper
Evaluates the neurobehavioral effects were resulted from dosing of sodium nitrate in mice. Mice were divided into 5 equal groups, the first group; control group was fed from concentrated feed (Barley, Wheat, Soybeans, Corn and Bran), the second group was added 0.2% sodium nitrate and the third group was added 0.2% sodium nitrate with 0.4% ascorbic acid, fourth group was added sodium nitrate 0.4% alone and the fifth group was added 0.4% sodium nitrate with 0.8% of ascorbic acid for five weeks. Sodium nitrate did not produce clear signs of toxicity, but a significant decrease in motor activity and standing on the hind legs (rearing) was observed in the open-field activity test, where the lowest level was reached in the fourth week of treatment, and these declines returned gradually to reach the control group level values at the end of the study period. Sodium nitrate was significantly delayed at the time of the negative geotaxis test at a 45 ° while returning to the control level in the fifth week, also showed that there was a significant increase in body weight compared to pre-treatment value. In this study 0.8% of ascorbic acid with 0.4% sodium nitrate in group 5 showed differed significantly with 0.4% sodium nitrate only in group 4, that means the ascorbic acid give a beneficial result when used for remedy of nitrate toxicity.
- Anjana, Umar S, Iqbal M. Nitrate accumulation in plants, factors affecting the process, and human health implications. A review. Agron Sustain develop. 2007; 27:45-57. https://doi.org/10.1051/agro:2006021
- Jaafar ,R.S. Bioremediation of lead and cadmium and the strive role of Pediococcus pentosaceus probiot)ic. Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Sciences,2020;34(1):51-57. https://doi.org/10.33899/ijvs.2019.125581.1092
- Diane B, Jan A, Andrew C, Jean C, Eugenia D, Alessandro DD, Maria LF, Peter F, Johanna FG, Corrado LG, Philippe G, Jadwiga G, Gerhard H, Niklas J, Antonio M, Josef S, Rolaf VL, Carlos Van P, Philippe V. Nitrite as undesirable substances in animal feed. EFSA J. 2009;1017:1-47. https://doi.org/10.2903/j.efsa.2009.1017
- Alicja M, Fernando A, Riccardo C. Re-evaluation of sodium nitrate (E 251) and potassium nitrate (E 252) as food additives. EFSA J. 2017;15(6): https://doi.org/10.2903/j.efsa.2017.4787
- Gladwin MT, Kim DB, Patel RP, Hogg N. Between nitrite and hemoglobin: the role of nitrite in hemoglobin-mediated hypoxic vasodilation. J Inorganic Biochem. 2005;99:237-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinorgbio.2004.10.034
- Stoltenow, C. and Greg L. Nitrate Poisoning of Livestock. Fargo, ND. North Dakota State University. 1998. Accessed August 19, 2008. http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ansci/livestoc/v839w.htm.
- Jimmy T. Keeton. History of Nitrite and Nitrate in Food. Nitrite and Nitrate in Human Health and Diseas. Book Chapter published 2017; p 85 - 97. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-46189-2_7
- Andrew C, Gianfranco B, Maria LF, Davide A, Luisa RB, Bruce C, Carlos Van P, Jean LD. Nitrite in feed: From animal health to human health. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 21 Nov 2010; 270 (3): 209-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2010.11.008
- EFSA European Food Safety Authority. Nitrate in vegetables: Scientific opinion of the panel on contaminants in the food chain. EFSA J. 2008; 689:1-79. https://doi.org/10.2903/j.efsa.2008.689
- EFSA European Food Safety Authority. Nitrite as undesirable substance in animal feed: Scientific opinion of the panel on contaminants in the food chain. EFSA J. 2009; 1017: 1-47. https://doi.org/10.2903/j.efsa.2009.1017
- Mensinga TT, Speijers GJ, Meulenbelt J. Health implications of exposure to environmental nitrogenous compounds. Toxicol. 2003; 22 (1): 41-51. https://doi.org/10.2165/00139709-200322010-00005
- Tanaka T. The relationships between litter size, offspring weight, and behavioral development in laboratory mice Mus musculus. Mammal Study. 2004; 29: 147-153. https://doi.org/10.3106/mammalstudy.29.147
- Toyohito T. Effects of maternal clothianidin exposure on behavioral development in F1 generation mice. 2012;28 (8): 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1177/0748233711422726
- Douglas W. Mouse behavioral testing. 1st ed. New York: Academic Press; 2010; 12 (2): 288 -288. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-183x.2012.00864.x
- Al-Khafaji NJ, Rhaymah MS. Changes in rat behavior induced by nitrite intoxication. Iraqi J Vet Sci. 1999; 12: 21-28. https://doi.org/10.33899/ijvs.2010.5570
- Nihad A, Seyedeh PY, Seydeh MJ, Hamid S. Antioxidant effect of different vitamins on methemoglobin production: An in vitro study. Vet Res Forum. 2012; 3 (2): 97-101. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4312803/
- Lobo V, Patil A, Phatak A, Chandra N. Free radicals, antioxidants and functional food: Impact on human health. Pharmacogn Rev. 2010; 4 (8): 118-126. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-7847.70902
- Sebastian JP, Mark L. Vitamin C physiology: The known and the unknown and goldilocks. Oral Dis. 2016; 22 (6): 463-493.
- Matt C, Jennifer S. Animal behavior: Guide to research techniques in neuroscience. 2nd ed. New York: Blackwell; 2015; 39 -71. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-800511-8.00002-2
- Robert GDS, James HT, David AD. Principles and procedures of statistics: A biometrical approach subsequent edition. Publisher: McGraw-Hill College; Subsequent edition 1996; p. 672. https://www.amazon.com/Principles-Procedures-Statistics-Biometrical-Approach/dp/0070610282
- Thomas W. Mac F, Jan MY. Nonparametric Statistics for the Biological Sciences. Book Chapter published 2016 in Introduction to Nonparametric Statistics for the Biological Sciences Using R on 2016; 1-50. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-30634-6_1
- Wier M, Anderson LM. Demand for organic foods attitudes, values and purchasing behaviors newsletter. Danish Res Center Farm. 2003; (2):1-3. http://orgprints.org/00001829
- Anil K. Behavioral and neurochemical evidence of deltamethrin anxiogenic-like effects in rats. Braz J Vet Res Anim Sci. Evaluation of toxicological and behavioral symptoms on deltamethrin treated albino rats. J. Artic. published 23 Feb 2018 in MOJ Anatomy & Physiology. 2018; 5(1). https://doi.org/10.15406/mojap.2018.05.00165
- Kvasnicka B, Krysl LJ. Nitrate Poisoning in Livestock. 1996; 1-3. http://www.iowabeefcenter.org/bch/NitratePoisoning.pdf
- Shehata SA. Nitrate detoxification of drinking water by ascorbic acid in growing rabbits. World Rabbit Sci. 2005;13(2): 93-106. https://doi.org/10.4995/wrs.2005.526
- Ozlem O, Firdevs M, Sima S, Ayhan U. Pathological and toxicological investigations of chronic nitrate poisoning in cattle. 2004; 87 (1): 99-106. https://doi.org/10.1080/02772240400007104
- Bassuny SM, Shehata SA, Bahgat LB, Mohamed SIA. Nitrate toxicity in rabbits: Effect of nitrate in drinking water on digestion, some blood constituents and growth performance of growing rabbits. Egyptian J Rabbit Sci. 2004; 14: 147-158. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/17426596/1234/1/012072/ pdf
- Cheeke PR, Shull LR. Natural toxicants in feeds and poisonous plants. Avi publishing company, Westport, conn., USA. No. of pages: XII+492,ISBN‐0–87055–482–4,1985; https://doi.org/10.1002/ffj.2730010207
- FASSETT, D.W. Nitrates and nitrites. Toxicants occurring naturally in foods. Comm. in Food Protection. Washington D.C.: Natl. Acad. Sci., 1973; 7-25. https://www.nap.edu/read/21278/chapter/3
- Al-Jammas S and Al-Saraj A. The histological changes induced by Cytarabine on rabbits livers (with and without vitamin E administration). Iraqi J.of Veterinary Sciences, 2020; 33 (2): 9-13. DOI:10.33899/ijvs.2020.163564.