Zoonotic Diseases Unit, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Baghdad, Baghdad, Iraq.
Market research and consumer protection center, University of Baghdad.
Document Type : Research Paper
The present study was conducted to estimate the incidence, clinical findings, cytological and histopathological characteristics of spontaneously occurring skin neoplasms in dogs. A total of 40 grossly suspected cases of cutaneous and subcutaneous tumors were gathered during the period from July 2016 to August 2018 from male and female dogs in Baghdad city. Dogs with skin neoplasia revealed various clinical signs, and their ages were older than 5 years to 15 years. German shepherd 30% followed by Terrier dogs 25% were more influenced than other breeds. Concerning tumor features, the majority of neoplasms had solitary lesion 70%, regular shapes 65% with black color 55%. The tumors frequently occurred on fore-limbs and abdomen, and 80% of them lasted for 1-6 months. Cytological examination was valuable for initial evaluation of benign and malignant tumors. Its results were confirmed by the histopathology, in which the majority of neoplasms sized more than 5 cm and grade I. Nine different types of skin neoplasms were recognized, while 65% of them were malignant, the others were benign. Squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinomas were the most common comprising 35% and 25%, respectively.
- Bronden LB, Eriksen T, Kristensen AT. Mast cell tumors and other skin neoplasia in Danish dogs-data from the Danish Veterinary Cancer Registry. Acta Vet Scand. 2010; 52:6. http://www.actavetscand.com/content/52/1/6.
- Tostes RA, Branco A, Cestari F, Caleffo T, Viott A. Retrospective study of canine cutaneous neoplasia. Arch Vet Sci. 2017;22(1):71-80. http://dx.doi.org/10.5380/avs.v22i1.49290.
- Rungsipipat A, Suryasootcharee B, Ousawaphlangchi L, Sailasuta A, Thanawongnuwech R. Neoplasms in dogs in Bangkok. Thailand J Vet Med. 2003;33:59-66.
- Bastianello SS. A survey on neoplasia in domestic species over a 40-year period from 1935 to 1974 in the Republic of South Africa. VI. Tumors occurring in dogs. Onderstepoort J Vet Res. 1983;50:199-220.
- Fabbrocini G, Triassi M, Mauriello MC, Torre G, Annunziata MC. Epidemiology of skin cancer: role of some environmental factors. Cancers. 2010;2:1980-1989. https://doi:10.3390/cancers2041980.
- Kelsey JL, Moore AS, Glickman LT. Epidemiologic studies of risk factors for cancer in pet dogs. Epidemiol Rev. 1998; 20:204-217. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.epirev.a017981.
- Todorova I. Prevalence and etiology of the most common malignant tumors in dogs and cats. Bulgarian J Vet Med. 2006;9(2):85-88.
- Madewell BR. Neoplasms in domestic animals: a review of experimental and spontaneous carcinogenesis. Yale J Biol Med. 1981;54:111-125.
- Nishiya AT, Massoco CO, Felizzola CR, Perlmann E, Batschinski K. Comparative aspects of canine melanoma. Vet Sci. 2016;3. http://doi:10.3390/vetsci3010007.
- Kashyap DK, Tiwari SK, Giri DK, Dewangan G, Sinha B. Cutaneous and subcutaneous tissue neoplasms in canines: Occurrence and histopathological studies. African J Agri Res. 2013;8(49):6569-6574.
- Khanna C, Lindblad K, Vail D, London C, Bergman P. The dog as a cancer model. Nat Biotechnol. 2006; 24: 1065-1066. https://doi.org/10.1038/nbt0906-1065b.
- Mukaratirwa S, Chipunza J, Chitanga S, Chimonyo M, Bhebhe E. Canine cutaneous neoplasms: prevalence and influence of age, sex and site on the presence and potential malignancy of cutaneous neoplasms in dogs from Zimbabwe. J Afr Vet Assoc. 2005;76:59-62. https://doi.org/10.4102/jsava.v76i2.398.
- Ladds PW, Kraft H, Sokale A, Trueman KF. Neoplasms of the skin of dogs in tropical Queensland. Aust Vet J. 1983;60:87-88.
- Rothwell TL, Howlett CR, Middleton DJ, Griffiths DA, Duff BC. Skin neoplasms of dogs in Sydney. Aust Vet J. 1987;64:161-164.
- Er JC, Sutton RH. A survey of skin neoplasms in dogs from the Brisbane region. Aust Vet J. 1989;66:225-227.
- Brodey RS. Canine and feline neoplasia. Adv Vet Sci Comp Med. 1970;14:309-354.
- Bostock DE. Neoplasms of the skin and subcutaneous tissues in dogs and cats. Br Vet J. 1986;142:1-19.
- Kaldrymidou H, Leontides L, Koutinas AF, Saridomichelakis MN, Karayannopoulou M. Prevalence, distribution and factors associated with the presence and the potential for malignancy of cutaneous neoplasms in 174 dogs admitted to a clinic in northern Greece. J Vet Med Physiol Pathol Clin Med. 2002; 49:87-91. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0442.2002.jv408.x.
- Roudebush P, Allen TA, Dodd CE, Novotny BJ. Application of evidence-based medicine to veterinary clinical nutrition. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2004; 224: 1765-1771. https://doi.org/10.2460/ javma.2004.224.1766.
- Hussin AM. Histological study of prostate in adult indigenous Iraqi dogs. J Entomol Zool Stud. 2016;4(3):224-227.
- Abdullah MA, Al-Mufty BI, Yasin MI, Hassan NJ. Clinical and histopathological study of mammary tumors in foreign dogs breeds in Kurdistan region of Iraq. Bas J Vet Res. 2014;l(1):l l-19.
- Alabbody HH, Lafta IJ. Clinical pathology and immuno-histochemistry of mammary tumors from military and pet dogs in Iraq. Online J Vet Res. 2018;22(7):547-560.
- Alabbody HH, Alwan MJ, Zenad MM, Walia AA. Clinical and histopathological study on dog’s tumors in Iraq. Iraqi J Sci. 2017;58(383C):1617-1630.
- Sorenmo KU, Kristiansen VM, Cofone MA, Shofer FS, Breen AM. Canine mammary gland tumors; a histological continuum from benign to malignant; clinical and histopathological evidence. Vet Comp Oncol. 2009;7:162-172. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-5829.2009.00184.x.
- Patnaik AK, Ehler WJ, MacEwen EG. Canine cutaneous mast cell tumor: Morphologic grading and survival time in 83 dogs. Vet Pathol. 1984;21:469-474.
- Daskalopoulou D, Maounis N, Kokalis G, Liodandonaki P, Belezini E. The role of fine needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of primary skin tumors. Arch Anat Cytol Pathol. 1993;41(2):75-81.
- Bancroft JD, Stevens A. Theory and practice of histological techniques. 3rd ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 1990. 113-305 p.
- Ma X, Wu Y, Zhang T, Song H, Jv H. Ki67 proliferation index as a histopathological predictive and prognostic parameter of oral mucosal melanoma in patients without distant metastases. J Cancer. 2017;8:3828-3837. https://dx.doi.org/10.7150%2Fjca.20935.
- Dzutsev A, Goldszmid RS, Viaud S, Zitvogel L, Trinchieri G. The role of the microbiota in inflammation, carcinogenesis, and cancer therapy. Eur J Immunol. 2015;45:17-31. https://doi.org/10.1002/eji.201444972.
- Costa MC, Aprígio Silva, AD, Moreira TA, Gundim LF, Medeiros AA. Prevalence and epidemiological and histopathological features of canine cutaneous mast cell tumors in Uberlandia, Brazil. Acta Vet Brno. 2017;86:189-193. https://doi.org/10.2754/avb201786020189.
- Merlo DF, Rossi L, Pellegrino C, Ceppi M, Cardellino U. Cancer incidence in pet dogs: Findings of the animal tumor registry of Genoa, Italy. J Vet Intern Med. 2008; 22: 976-984. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2008.0133.x.
- Hargis AM, Ihrke PJ, Spangler WL, Stannard AA. A retrospective clinicopathologic study of 212 dogs with cutaneous hemangiomas and hemangiosarcoma. Vet Pathol. 1992;29:316-328.
- Gamlem H, Nordstoga K, Glattre E. Canine neoplasia-introductory paper. APMIS. 2008: 5-18. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0463.2008.125m2.x.
- Pinto JP, Teixeira LB, Santos AR. Estudo histopatológico e histoquímico de mastocitomas na região de Espírito Santo do Pinhal. Rev Acad. 2007;5:265-276.
- Furlani JM, Daleck CR, Vicenti FA, Nardi AB, Pereira GT. Mastocitoma canino: Estudo restrospectivo. Ci Ani Bras. 2008;9:242-250.
- Wey N, Kohn B, Gutberlet K, Rudolph R, Brunnberg L. Mammary tumors in the bitch: Clinical follow up study 1995-1997. Vet Bull. 1999;69:8395.
- Singh R, Mohindroo J, Banga HS, Singh SS, Kansal SK. Occurrence of neoplasms in canines. Indian J Vet Pathol. 2004;28(1):54-57.
- Pakhrin B, Kang MS, Bae IH, Park MS, Jee H. Retrospective study of canine cutaneous tumors in Korea. J Vet Sci. 2007;8:229-236. http://doi: 10.4142/jvs.2007.8.3.229.
- Kuznetsova LA, Kruchkov DV, Fominutes AV, Minenok AA, Kuleshova OA. Comparative characteristics of methods of treatment of melanoma in dogs. Russ Vet J Small Domest Wild Anim. 2009;4:28-33.
- Natividade FS, Castro MB, Silva AS, Galera PD. Survival analyses and prognostic markers in canine cutaneous mast cell tumors. Pesqui Vet Bras. 2014; 34: 874-884 . https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-736X2014000900012.
- Kassi M, Kasi PM, Afghan AK, Marri SM, Kassi M. The role of fine-needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of basal cell carcinoma. ISRN Dermatol. 2012;2012. https://doi.org/10.5402/2012/132196.
- Patel S, Mahadevappa A, Manjunath GV. Fine needle aspiration cytology of papulonodular lesions of skin: A study of 50 cases. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016; 10: EC09-EC13. https://doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2016/22953.9107.
- Layfield LJ, Glasgow BJ. Aspiration biopsy cytology of primary cutaneous tumors. Acta Cytol. 1993;37:679-688.
- Sivaseelan S, Sasikala M, Sumithra A, Balasubramanium GA. Incidence of neoplasm in domestic animals. Indian Vet J. 2009;86:416- 417.
- Graf R, Pospischil A, Guscetti F, Meier D, Welle M. Cutaneous tumors in Swiss dogs: Retrospective data from the Swiss canine cancer registry 2008-2013. Vet Pathol. 2018; 55:809-820. https://doi.org/10.1177/ 0300985818789466.
- Rahmanzadeh R, Hüttmann G, Gerdes J, Scholzen T. Chromophore assisted light inactivation of pKi67 leads to inhibition of ribosomal RNA synthesis. Cell Prolif. 2007; 40: 422-430. https://doi.org/10.1111/ j.1365-2184.2007.00433.x.
- Koseoglu RD, Sezer E, Eyibilen A, Aladag I, Etikan I. Expressions of p53, cyclinD1 and histopathological features in basal cell carcinomas. J Cutan Pathol. 2009;36:958-965. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0560.2008.01204.x.
- Batinac T, Zamolo G, Coklo M, Hadzisejdic I, Stemberger C. Expression of cell cycle and apoptosis regulatory proteins in keratoacanthoma and squamous cell carcinoma. Pathol Res Pract. 2006;202:599-607. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prp.2006.04.004.
- Vaisanen A, Kuvaja P, Kallioinen M, Turpeenniemi T. A prognostic index in skin melanoma through the combination of matrix metalloproteinase-2, Ki67, and p53. Hum Pathol. 2011;42:1103-1111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2010.11.013.