College of Dentistry, University of Mosul, Mosul, Iraq
Department of Basic Sciences, College of Dentistry, University of Mosul, Mosul, Iraq
Document Type : Research Paper
The present study was intended to determine the histological changes induced by Cytarabine drug on the structure of rabbit's livers and the protective effects of vitamin E on these histological changes. The treated group with daily intraperitoneal dose of (50 mg/kg body weight) of Cytarabine alone, showed a massive histological change represented by infiltration of mononuclear inflammatory cells, epithelioid cell and Kupffer's cells in hepatic tissue. Fibrosis in portal area, congestion of blood vessels as well as hyperplasia of bile canaliculi and coagulative necrosis of hepatocytes were also noticed in other sections. While the group that received protective (800 IU of vitamin E) prior to each Cytarabine injection, showed a considerable histological improvement than the group received Cytarabine alone, as the histological sections of this group showed a nearly normal histological architecture of the liver that represented by normal arrangement of hepatic cords, no fibrosis no congested blood vessels were seen. though distension of hepatic sinusoids and coagulative necrosis of some hepatocytes were still observed. The present study suggested that vitamin E is an effective chemo-protective agent against hepatotoxicity when used as a protective agent prior to Cytarabine drug taken.
- Desai AG, Qazi GN, Ganju RK, El-Tamer M, Singh J, Saxena AK, Bedi YS, Taneja SC, Bhat HK. Medicinal plants and cancer chemoprevention. Curr Drug Metab. 2008;9(7):581-591. PMC4160808.
- Sahni V, Choudhury D, Ahmed Z. Chemotherapy-associated renal dysfunction. Nat Rev Nephrol. 2009;5(8):450-462. DOI: 10.1038/nrneph.2009.97.
- Grigorian A, O'Brien CB. Hepatotoxicity secondary to chemotherapy. J Clin Transl Hepatol. 2014;2(2): 95-102. DOI: 10.14218/JCTH.2014.00011.
- Finkel KW, Foringer JR. Renal disease in patients with cancer. Nat Clin Pract Nephrol. 2007;3(12):669-678. DOI: 10.1038/ncpneph0622
- Al-Jammas S, Al-Sarraj A. The histological changes induced by cytarabine on rabbits kidneys (with and without vitamin E administration). Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Sciences. 2019; 33(2): 311-316. DOI: 10.33899/ijvs.2019.162910.
- Konda N, Prashanth P, Arvind G, Shah S. Pharmaceutical development and compatibility studies on cytarabine injection. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2013;3(6):42-145. DOI: 0974-2441
- Luna LG. Manual of Histologic Staining Methods of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. 3rd ed., McGraw-Hill Book Co., USA. 1968; pp. 3-158.
- Norbert L. Nephrotoxicity of recent anti-cancer agents. Clin Kidney J. 2014;7(1):11-22. DOI: 10.1093/ckj/sft135
- Maor Y, Malnick S. Liver injury induced by anticancer chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Int J Hepatol. 2013;2013:815105. DOI:10.1155/2013/815105
- King PD, Perry MC. Hepatotoxicity of chemotherapy. Oncol. 2001;6:162-176. DOI: 10.1634/theoncologist.6-2-162
- El-Sayyad HI, Ismail MF, Shalaby FM, Abou-El-Magd RF, Gaur RL, Fernando A. Histopathological effects of cisplatin, doxorubicin and 5-flurouracil (5-FU) on the liver of male albino rats. Int J Biol Sci. 2009;5(5):466-73. DOI:10.7150/ijbs.5.466.
- Al-Majed AA. Carnitine deficiency provokes cisplatin-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2007;100(3):145-150.DOI:10.1111/j.17427843.2006.00024.x
- Fang J, Nakamura H, Iyer AK. Tumor-targeted induction of oxystress for cancer therapy. J Drug Target. 2007;15:475-486. DOI:10.1080/10611860701498286.
- Cruz CM, Rinna A, Forman HJ, Ventura AL, Persechini PM, Ojcius DM. ATP activates a reactive oxygen species-dependent oxidative stress response and secretion of proinflammatory cytokines in macrophages. J Biol Chem. (2007);282:2871-2879. DOI:10.1074/jbc.M608083200.
- Ju C, Tacke F. Hepatic macrophages in homeostasis and liver diseases: From pathogenesis to novel therapeutic strategies. Cell Mol Immunol. 2016;13:316-327. DOI: 10.1038/cmi.2015.104
- Dixon LJ, Barnes M, Tang H, Pritchard MT, Nagy LE. Kupffer cells in the liver. Compr Physiol. 2013;3(2):785-97. DOI:10.1002/cphy.c120026
- Canbay A, Taimr P, Torok N, et al. Apoptotic body engulfment by a human stellate cell line is profibrogenic. Lab Invest. 2003;83:655-663. PMID:12746475
- Stevenson HL, Prats MM, Sasatomi E. Chemotherapy-induced Sinusoidal Injury (CSI) score: a novel histologic assessment of chemotherapy-related hepatic sinusoidal injury in patients with colorectal liver metastasis. BMC Cancer. 2017;17(1):35. DOI:10.1186/s12885-016-2998-2.
- Tarladaçalışır YT, Uygun M, Akpolat M, UzHülya Y. Histologic examination of the protective effect of vitamin E and C in cisplatin-induced hepatotoxicity. Balkan Med J. 2005;22:124-131. PMC3897034.
- Ahmad RM, Al-Jawary AA. Effect of vitamin C on the hepatotoxicity induced by cisplatin in rats. Raf J Sci. 2012;23(2):23-33. DOI: 10.22127/rjp.2019.84314
- Shona S, Essawy AW, Zaki SM, EI-Galil TI. Effect of cisplatinum on the liver of the adult albino rat and the possible protective role of vitamin E (histological and ultrastructural study). Anat Physiol. 2012;2:102. DOI: 10.4172/2161-0940.1000102.
- El-Gendy KS, Aly NM, Mahmoud FH, Kenawy A, El-Sebae AK. The role of vitamin C as antioxidant in protection of oxidative stress induced by imidacloprid. Food Chem Toxicol. 2010;48(1):215-221. DOI: 10.1016/j.fct.2009.10.003.
- Maheswari E, Saraswathy GR, Santhranii T. Influence of vitamin E on hepatotoxicity and oxidative stress. 2015;2(3):30-38. DOI: 2394-5893
- Singh KC, Kaur R, Marar T. Ameliorative effect of vitamin E on chemotherapy induced side effects in rat liver. J Pharmacol Toxicol. 2011;6:481-492.DOI: 10.3923/jpt.2011.481.492